Monday, April 26, 2010

The 1541 Disk Drive Can Kiss My Ass

I was making great progress tonight, cataloging and testing out Commodore 64 software to list for sale. Then I made the tragic error of trying to load in a game whose disks didn't work. The disk drives, the notorious 1541 model, made that machine-gun sound, and promptly stopped loading anything else -- even disks that had just worked.

I wouldn't be so irritated by this if I didn't have eight or ten of these albatrosses piled up around here. They spit out errors like a goalie spits out teeth, and they go out of alignment if you so much as fart in their general direction. I have some instructions on how to get them realigned, but I haven't tried them yet. I shouldn't HAVE to. These temperamental pieces of shit were badly designed and terribly put together.

After reading Brian Bagnall's history of Commodore, the company, it's amazing to me that so much coolness was extracted out of hardware made so indifferently. I was having a great time, and it ground to a halt, like the heads of the drive hitting track zero. Screw this, I'm going to bed. Anyone want to take ten of these shitty drives, realign me five of them, and keep the other five for their trouble?

No comments: